Tools to Help Protect You against Suicidal Thoughts
Combat Suicidal Thoughts by:
- Re-Establish Hope - Suicide is often described as a permanent solution to a temporary problem. When someone is contemplating suicide they often see death as the only way out of their problems. Hope, on the other hand, is often the antidote for suicidal thoughts. Hope keeps us going in challenging times and helps us “see the light at the end of the tunnel”. The more we help someone re-establish hope in their lives the more resistant they tend to be to suicidal impulses.
- Build Resiliency By Building Coping Skills - The more coping skills that we have, the better we tend to manage the challenges of life. If someone is suicidal, help them find the resources that are available to help them get through their current crisis. When the crisis passes, psychotherapy can help them build resiliency by helping them learn the skills they need to cope with depression, anxiety, grief and other life stressors.
- Develop Strong Social Ties - The stronger our social ties the more support we have during times of stress and crisis. It is important to build strong relationships and social ties during the “normal” times, so that you have the social support safety net when you need it most.
- Get Sober - Alcohol and drug abuse is one of the risk factors of suicides. If you are struggling with addictions, get the help you need to get sober and stay sober. It could save your life.
- Develop Your Spiritual Life - A strong sense of connection to things greater than ourselves is often an important aspect of finding meaning in life. A strong spiritual life can help you overcome the dark times in life.
- Get Support and Treatment for Health Issues - Our physical health matters. Our physical health often affects our quality of life and the higher the quality of life, the more resistant we are to suicidal thoughts.
- Seek Therapy - Psychotherapy Helps. Get help when you need it and don’t let fear stop you from working through past emotional baggage that may be preventing you from having the life that you want.
New Dimensions Can Help!
If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, New Dimensions can help. Our team of experienced therapists and psychiatrists can help you overcome these challenges and help you develop the skills you need to thrive. To schedule a complementary assessment or to find out more about our programs, contact us at 1-800-685-9796.
Depression Treatment: We serve Houston, Katy, The Woodlands, Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood, Galveston, Pearland, Pasadena, Baytown, Spring, Conroe, Kingwood, Sugarland, Cypress, Tomball, Richmond, Humble, Huntsville, Bellaire, Seabrook, Missouri City, Lake Jackson, and surrounding areas